Description and taxonomy of moringa
La moringa proviene de la familia Moringáceas, de origen Capparidales el cuál comprende 13 species, las cuales son árboles de climas tropicales y subtropicales; la especie más popular es la Moringa oleifera. Su nombre científico es Moringa oleifera Lam.
La moringa oleífera es un árbol originario del Himalaya y se ha extendido a otras partes como India, Bangladesh, Afganistán, Pakistán, Sri Lanka, sudeste asiático, Asia Occidental, Península Arábica, Caribe, Centroamérica y gran parte de América del Sur. Se cree que fue llevada de la India a África por los ingleses e introducida al Caribe por los franceses y de allí a Centroamérica.
Common Name (in Mexico): Moringa, Pearl
Parts used: Leaves, fruits, seeds and stems
Beneficios de la Moringa para la Salud
The Moringa (Moringa Oleifera) has a high protein content, Vitamins, minerals and an exceptional amount of antioxidants that give outstanding qualities in nutrition and health human.
The benefits of consuming moringa are:
- Increases the body's natural defenses.
- Promotes cell body structure.
- Controla de forma natural los niveles de colesterol sérico.
- Reduces the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
- Promotes normal functioning of the liver and kidney.
- Beautify Skin.
- Provides power.
- Promotes proper digestion.
- It acts as an antioxidant.
- Provides a healthy circulatory system.
- It is an anti-inflammatory.
- Produces a feeling of well being.
- Regula los niveles normales de azúcar en la sangre.
Virtually all tree structures have medicinal, but leaves, the fruits and seeds deserve special attention, since it has been demonstrated that their components have a wide application for the prevention and control of various diseases.
Source: C. Gopalan et al. (1994), Nutritive Value of Indian Foods, National Institute of Nutrition, India.
Productos para la salud a base de Moringa Orgánica
The list of Mineral present in the Moringa is long and the most important it is included the Calcio, Copper, Iron, Potassium, magnesio y Zinc. Calcium is one of the most important minerals for growth, maintenance and reproduction of the body. Blood coagulation, the transmission of nerve impulses, contraction and relaxation of muscles, Normal heartbeat, stimulating hormone secretion, Activation of the enzyme reaction, as well as other functions, require all small cuantidades Calcium. Moringa is the richest source of calcium found in plant material and has 17 times more calcium than milk, helps prevent osteoporosis during old age and strengthen the bones of the young and middle-aged. The Moringa, with 23 times more iron than spinach, helps in the formation of hemoglobin and myoglobin, which carry oxygen to the blood and muscles.
El Hierro is also part of many proteins and enzymes in the body. Its deficiency causes impairment immune, while consumption helps improve mental agility, because it increases the supply of oxygen to the brain. The Moringa, with 15 times more potassium than bananas, assists regulation of acid-base balance and the water in the blood and tissues of the body. As the richest source of Calcium and Potassium, helps reduce blood pressure. Auxiliary protein synthesis from amino acids and carbohydrate metabolism. Calcium is also necessary for the development of muscle and for normal body growth.
The Moringa has approximately 46 antioxidants and is one of the most powerful sources of natural antioxidants. Antioxidants provide the free atoms needed by the body and reduce the effect of free radicals. This antioxidant property helps prevent malignant formations. Moringa leaves are rich in Flavonoids, types of antioxidants. Older antioxidants are: Quercetin, Kaempferol, Beta-Sisterol, caffeoylquinic acid and zeatin. Antioxidants play an important role in controlling the symptoms of the aging process and improve cardiovascular health.
Also, Vitamin C and Vitamin E present in the Moringa also function as antioxidants. Research confirms the presence of phytonutrients in Moringa leaves and seeds, considered as organic components of health promoters. The Fitonutrientes present in Moringa include Alpha carotene, Beta-Caroteno, Luteína, Zeaxanthin y Clorofila. Phytonutrients cleanse the body of toxins, purified kidneys, help strengthen the immune system, rebuild red blood cells and, more importantly, rejuvenate the body at the cellular level. These nutrients form a complete nutritional supplement for the welfare of our health.
Nutricosméticos a base de Moringa Orgánica
Ten essential amino acids present in Moringa Oleifera leaf and its functions in human health.
- Among the amino acids that this is the main supplier of sulfur, preventing hair disorders (influences hair follicles and promotes hair growth), skin and nails. Helps reduce cholesterol levels and reduces liver fat and protects the kidneys.
- It is an essential amino acid in human nutrition. Ranks among the nonpolar amino acids, also called hydrophobic. It is essential to promote the release of the neurotransmitter serotonin, involved in the regulation of sleep and pleasure. Anxiety, insomnia and stress benefit from a better balance thanks to tryptophan.
- Improve immune response to bacteria, viruses and tumor cells, promotes healing and liver regeneration, causes the release of growth hormones and is considered crucial for optimal muscle growth and tissue repair.
- It is used by the brain to produce norepinephrine, a chemical that transmits signals between nerve cells and the brain that keeps you awake and alert, reduce hunger pains, functions as an antidepressant and helps improve memory.
- Is used in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, allergic diseases, ulcers and anemia. A deficiency can cause poor hearing.
- It is necessary for the formation of hemoglobin, stabilizes and regulates blood sugar and energy levels. This amino acid is valuable for athletes.
- Promotes the healing of muscle tissue, la piel y los huesos y se recomienda para quienes se recuperan de una cirugía. Este aminoácido ayuda a aumentar la producción de la hormona del crecimiento.
- Contribute to the proper absorption of calcium and helps form collagen (making reaches cartilage bones and connective tissues). It also helps in the production of antibodies, hormones and enzymes.
- It is a powerful aid to the body in protecting against radiation and pollution. You can help slow the aging process, to deactivate free radicals and neutralize toxins. Support protein synthesis and presents cellular change. It is necessary for the formation of the skin, that helps in the recovery from burns and surgical operations.
- It is an important component of collagen, Enamel proteins and elastin. Helps prevent fat accumulation in the liver and helps the digestive and intestinal tracts to function smoothly. Assists metabolism and assimilation.
- Proline is extremely important for the proper functioning of joints and tendons and also helps maintain and strengthen heart muscles.
- They know that transmit nerve impulses to the brain, to help overcome depression, to improve memory, to increase mental acuity and promote healthy thyroid function, adrenal and pituitary glands.
Uses and Applications
Ornamental: Moringa is a tree that supports attractive forms fine pruning. They can be used as shade trees, as Setos, visual and auditory display, even as windbreaks.
Agroforestry: Not being a kind of leafy crown, has the facility to be combined with other plants of herbaceous or shrubby, serving as windbreaks, excessive sun and earth enrichment.
Fuel: The wood provides an acceptable fuel, especially for cooking. Light, with an average density of 0.6 and a calorific value of 4.600 kcal/kg.
Reforestation: Because of its rapid growth and ability to establish itself in disturbed sites with low fertility, can also be used for reforestation and recovery of areas without vegetation or damaged by human activity.
Water Purification: The seeds are very useful as one of the best known natural flocculants and turbid waters are widely used in the treatment and stormwater and purificacción. It is also used in the clarification of honey and the juice of the sugar cane.
Oil: Moringa seed contains a 35 % Oil. It is a very high quality oil, Slightly viscous and sweet, an 73 % of oleic acid, al of similar quality olive oil. Employee in kitchen, vueleve not rancid, very good to add to salads. You can also have interesting applications in lubrication mechanisms and soap and cosmetics. This oil burns without producing smoke, It is therefore suitable as fuel for lamps.
Biofertilizer: Products derived from the processing of the seed cake form a very natural fertilizer as a high nitrogen content. It can also be used as a source of plant growth promoting hormones, extract obtained from leaves and young stems. The active substance is Zeatin, a plant hormone cytokinin group of. It is also interesting to note that the leaves of Moringa, incorporated directly into the soil prevent the attack of certain pests (Pythium debaryanum).
Forage for animals: Moringa leaves are one of the most complete fodder imaginable. Very rich in protein, vitamins and minerals and excellent palatability, leaves are eaten by all animals: Ruminants, Camels, pigs, poultry, even tents, and other herbivorous fish tilapia.
Melífero: The flowering tree is a major source of nectar for bees.
Biodiesel. From the seeds is also possible to obtain biodiesel.
Sale of Moringa
Selling Organic Moringa Oleifera Rancho Tierra Pura, located in the Ejido Nueva Italia, Township Miigica, Michoacán, considered the Moringa Oleifera First Certified Producer National level Metrocert and internationally for the ICEA.
Seeds, sometimes, further from the ripe pods are harvested and cooked like peas or roasted like nuts, contain high levels of vitamin C and moderate amounts of B vitamins and minerals needed in the diet (USDA table).
Moringa oil contains the 70% oleic acid. "Oleic acid is known for its beneficial effects on cardiovascular health and liver. Increases good cholesterol called (HDL) and reduces bad cholesterol (LDL) blood, therefore exerts a beneficial action on the vascular system and the heart, thereby reducing, the risk of cardiovascular disease. It is also known to have beneficial effects on liver health and prevents the formation of gallstones .... El ácido oleico también se emplea en la fabricación de cosméticos, soaps, in metal cleaning and textile industry ... "
El aceite del Rancho Tierra Pura se obtiene Mediante metodos de prensado en frío y Una vez que el aceite se ha extraido, the remaining sour cake has all the properties of fresh seed, which contains a 60% protein and can be used as fertilizer. Currently evaluating use as animal feed and poultry ".
Moringa oleifera vainas, raw
|Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)|
|Energy||37 kcal (150 kJ)|
|Dietary Fiber||3.2 g|
|Vitamin A equiv.||4 μg (1%)|
|Thiamine (year. B1)||0.0530 mg (5%)|
|Riboflavin (year. B2)||0.074 mg (6%)|
|Niacin (year. B3)||0.620 mg (4%)|
|Pantothenic acid (B5)||0.794 mg (16%)|
|Tamina B6||0.120 mg (9%)|
|Folate (year. B9)||44 μg (11%)|
|Vitamin C||141.0 mg (170%)|
|Football||30 mg (3%)|
|Iron||0.36 mg (3%)|
|Magnesium||45 mg (13%)|
|Manganese||0.259 mg (12%)|
|Phosphorus||50 mg (7%)|
|Potassium||461 mg (10%)|
|Sodium||42 mg (3%)|
|Zinc||0.45 mg (5%)|
|Percentages are relative to|
|US recommendations for adults.|
|Source: USDA Nutrient Database|
Historically, the Moringa seed oil has been used to assist skin diseases, drop, joint pain, scurvy, inflammation, stomach ache, rheumatism, and many other conditions. Although modern medicine has not been studied thoroughly all its qualities, million people have used the oil for these ailments.
Properties of Moringa oleifera oil have been known for centuries: Egyptians buried in their graves full of pots they called "oil life", it was Moringa oleifera. The Arabs in the desert it smeared on your face to recover from the ravages of the sun and wind, and the ancient Romans treasured the oil as a stable base for perfumery. The tree offers all these benefits and more, Moringa products offer an almost unlimited potential benefit.
Mature seeds produce 38-40% of edible oil llamado "good" or "behen" su high concentration of acid behénico. THE oil "Ben" squeezed from the seeds of Moringa oleifera, also known as the horseradish tree, tree oil well, the tree of Drumstick. The oil is characterized by an extremely long life and mild taste, but nice. Oil components are the following:
The refined oil is clear, It is odorless and resistant to rancidity. The residue seed, after oil extraction, can be used as a fertilizer or as a flocculant for water purification. The Moringa seed oil also has potential for use as biofuel.
Oleic oil benefits
Oleic oil is considered as a healthy fat source and is used as a substitute for high saturated animal fats. The main component of moringa oil, Triglycerides are esters of oleic acid. Apart from moringa oil, can also be found in grape seeds, Canola oil and olive oil. In humans, fatty acid that occurs abundantly in adipose tissue.
Positive effects of oleic acid in the human body
Oleic acid is an unsaturated fatty acid is predominantly found in vegetable products and has the ability to lower blood pressure and cholesterol in the body. There are many benefits of oleic acid, some of which are listed as follows:
- Oleic acid is an unsaturated fatty acid whose molecules are larger and have a tendency to slide past one another without binding to other molecules, ensuring the free flow in the blood without forming plates to block arteries.
- This triglyceride is a source of good cholesterol, as it helps to reduce the overall level of "bad" cholesterol in the body. Also reduces levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) or bad cholesterol and increases levels of high density lipoprotein (HDL) or good cholesterol, which is required for the general health of the individual.
- It is rich in antioxidants that help to combat the effects of free radicals in the body. It also stimulates the immune system, combat disease and to stay healthy. Likewise it is used as an antioxidant supplement.
- Strengthens the integrity of the cell membrane and helps in the repair of damaged cells and tissues.
- Memory power increases and optimizes brain function and neural transmission.
- Oleic acid is an important ingredient in drugs used to block the progression of adrenoleukodystrophy (ALD), it is a fatal disease that affects the glands in the brain and adrenal glands.
- Improve the functioning of the heart and circulatory system.
- Oleic acid also inhibits the growth of cancer cells thereby reducing the risk of developing the disease, especially breast cancer. It blocks the action of HER-2 / neu, an oncogene that causes cancer which is found in about 30% patients with breast cancer.
- Reduces inflammation of joints and other complications related to arthritis.
- This essential fatty acid acts as an energy booster for different body functions.
- The mono-unsaturated fatty acids help with weight loss.
- It also helps decrease asthma symptoms.
- Reduces clogging and hardening of the arteries, also known as atherosclerosis.
- Reduces insulin resistance which improves glucose (blood sugar) maintenance.
- Low cholesterol level in the body thereby reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases such as stroke, high blood pressure, angina (chest pain) and heart failure.
- As an ingredient in cosmetic products acts as a moisturizer and provides a soft and supple skin that glows with health.
- The application of moringa oil makes hair grow thicker and stronger, so it is starting to be used in the cosmetics industry.
Although oleic oils are highly beneficial, should be especially careful in their consumption. Ingesting any excessive oil oleic, regardless of origin (avocado, Almond, olive, etc), can be detrimental, especially for women, because some studies have found that increasing the level of oleic acid in the membranes of red blood cells, may increase the risk of breast cancer in some cases. The recommended dose is no more than 6 tablespoons a day.